Tuesday, October 15, 2013

YaYYY for HALLOWEEN!





Let me start by saying... I LOVE HALLOWEEN!! I know I have already shared a halloween post, BUT now it's about to get serious! My blog is about to be totally Halloween-o-fied! So consider this a fair warning, if you don't enjoy Halloween as much as I do (which is a lot!!) then BEWARE!!

My first halloween post featured a display of revamped dollar store pumpkins, and guess what?! So does this one!! However, for this post I have created 10 different designs using Dollar Tree carve-able pumpkins! I love these, they are the perfect size and 1$!

Here's what they looked like before:


The one thing I wasn't crazy about with these pumpkins was the color :(, BUT that is easily fixed! I used three different kinds of spray paint for my pumpkins: Rustoleum Glossy Black, Rustoleum Flat Heirloom White and Rustoleum Chalkboard Spray! 

So without further delay, Check out the 10 different ways I decked out my dollar pumpkins:

1. Silhouette


First I sprayed this pumpkin with chalkboard paint. Then using a cut-out of a bat (I got a package of bat silhouettes from the dollar store!) I traced around the cut-out in pencil. Then went back over the outline in chalk and filled it in to create my silhouette. You could also Mod Podge a silhouette on, or use paint or a sharpie to create the same effect.


2. Glitter


I wanted to give this pumpkin a traditional jack-o-lantern face, but rather than carving it in I used glitter!  Simply draw on your face (or free-hand like me) and fill in your shapes with glue. Then sprinkle on some glitter and let dry. 

3. Decoupage


This one is pretty self-explanatory! I cut-out "BOO!" from some black/white damask wrapping paper I had on hand, and then Mod-Podged my letters on.

4. Bugs!


For this creepy-crawly pumpkin, I started by spraying my pumpkin glossy black. Then I used pins to attach some black plastic creepy crawlies (also from the dollar store) all around my pumpkin. Yea, it's kind of gross, BUT I kind of love it! 

5. Seed Beads


I used silver seed beads to create this "classy" looking pumpkin :). I randomly spread glue over the top of my pumpkin to make an organic design then loaded on the seed beads. (It kind of looks like a cupcake, BUT i think it works!) 

6. Chalk

This is another pumpkin I sprayed with chalkboard paint (I just love the look!) But for this one I went a little crazier with the chalk! First I drew lines the outline the sections of the pumpkin. Then in each section I wrote a Halloween word like "Haunt", "Spooky", "Ghost", etc. And finished off the top with some leaves and curly-q's. 

7. Googly Eyes!



This is another fun one! I bought a package of googly eyes (again dollar store!!), and glued these onto a glossy black pumpkin to spell out the date of All Hallows Eve!

8. Ribbon 


This is one of my favs! And so easy! I used two kinds of Halloween-themed ribbon (from Michaels) and cut pieces ling enough to span the height of my pumpkin. Then I secured them on the top and bottom with some dollar-store thumbtacks!

9. Duct Tape 

This pumpkin is decorated with Duck Brand houndstooth duct tape! Just keep taping until your pumpkin is covered!


10. Spider Transfers


Last but not least is my awesome spider pumpkin! Ok, I have to admit this is not totally a DIY because I got a little help from Martha Stewart on this one! For this pumpkin I used Pumpkin Transfers by Martha Stewart, which work essential like water-slide decals or temporary tattoos. I forgot to take a picture of the package :( but you can find these online or at most craft stores. I got these at Joann's 1/2 off! Only $2.99 for the package! 


Stay tuned to see how I used my $ DIY pumpkins to create an awesome display in front of my fireplace!


Thanks for stopping by!

-Liz :)




No comments:

Post a Comment