Monday, October 28, 2013

It just wouldn't be Halloween without...Pumpkins!


In the true spirit of Halloween, my boyfriend and I visited a pumpkin patch this past weekend to pick out some pumpkins (and no we were not the only people there without a small child in tow!) The place that we went was a local landscaping/gardening store that also has a full flea market and throws a Fall Festival this time of year! Before picking out our pumpkins we ate some yummy bbq and explored the grounds. Check out some pics:

They had a large selection of ceramic pots...

and garden statues!

The FL weather made the experience a little strange for me (Fall in Wisconsin is a little different), but you can't argue with sunshine!

I loved these metal cranes!

Pretty Autumn-esque plant!

Festive florals!

And did I mention the orchids?!!...Gorgeous!





And finally we found ourselves at the main event, the Pumpkins!!


We picked out 4 (1 for my bf and 3 for me, I had a lot of ideas!!):


Here's what we did with them: 

My bf carved his is the traditional manner:


For my two smaller pumpkins: I added Martha Stewart pumpkin transfers to the smallest, and I used a kit I got at Michaels to create the awesome shaved design on the bigger multi-colored pumpkin :)



And for the biggest pumpkin I made a string art owl design and then carved a couple bats and a moon around it. 


Here's how I made the owl:

1. First you need a stencil. I drew out a stencil (you could also print one offline) and taped it to my pumpkin. 


I originally drew on eyes but later decided against them. 

2. Start nailing! Space your nails relatively close together, especially in tight corners so you don't lose the shape. 


3. Now remove your paper!


4. Start stringing! I tied the end around one nail, and first went around the whole outline. Then fill in the middle by randomly wrapping the string back and forth from nails on one side of the design to the other.  


All done: 


No comments:

Post a Comment