Monday, October 21, 2013

My Halloween Fireplace :)


The Halloween insanity continues!! I am so excited about how my fireplace decor turned out I just had to share! Since I live in an apartment there is not too much room to decorate, BUT the one architectural detail I do have is a fireplace (I know kind of random in Florida, but I'll take it!). So I knew I wanted to make this area a focal point. 

The first thing I did was add the owl silhouettes. It's hard to see under my dripping font but I have a display of four antique botanical prints above my fireplace featuring different kinds of fungi and poisonous plants. I got these at a flea market for a dollar each and they are all from an old english encyclopedia published in 1911! Around these I perched a number of owl silhouettes that get this... I got from the dollar store (15/pack!!) As far as I am concerned these silhouettes are amazing and create such a large/bold visual for only $1! 

Here is a pic of all the owls. My favorite is the one sitting on top of the lamp :) To stick these to the wall I used a little renter's trick: First I put a piece of blue painters tape where I wanted the owl to be. Then over this I put a piece of double-stick tape and then the owl. This way the double-stick tape won't ruin the walls! 

Next I added my lovely Eyeball Wreath:


To see how I made this check out my previous post, Halloween Eyeball Wreath!


Last, I decked out the hearth itself, with transformed dollar store pumpkins, 10 Ways to Decorate $ Store Pumpkins.

In order to display all of my pumpkins I used a number of vintage and new candlesticks holders, trays, etc. Some of these were pieces I already had like the large mercury glass candleholder from Home Goods and the ABCs vintage silver-plated child's bowl from Goodwill. The mix of old and new gives an awesome eclectic look: 


The pumpkin on the far left is balanced atop a vintage wooden spool. The white spider pumpkin in front on the left rests inside an old silver trophy tray from a 1984 horse race. In the middle on the right, a googly eye pumpkin sits on a white candleholder from the thrift store that was originally green.                             
The glossy black candleholder and mercury glass urn are both from Home Goods. The silver raised bowl is from Salvation Army.
 
The ribbon pumpkin in front sits in a vintage baby bowl. 

I have had the mercury glass candleholder for about a year, and the small black candlestick holder was a quick $0.50 find at Goodwill. 

I choose to use only white, black and silver for this display to "keep it classy" and complement my existing decor :)

Thanks for stopping by!

-Liz :)


No comments:

Post a Comment