Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Halloween Specimen Jars and Vintage Printables


I love science and I love Halloween so put the two together and what do you get... Creepy Mad Scientist, that's what!! This inspired me to add a little mad scientist to my Halloween decor this year. And the easiest way to do this is with some DIY specimen jars! I have done two versions of these, the first being the jar pictured above.

Here's what I used to create this jar:


For this project you will need: 
1. A cool jar (mine is from a thrift store)
2. Food coloring
3. Plastic animals, body parts, etc.!
4. Double stick tape
5. Creepy labels: I used vintage labels (9 total) I got from a local antique store, I have scanned all 9 of these labels in as a free printable PDF below:



Once you have all of your supplies gathered its time to start the "science project"!

First, fill your jar with water and then add food coloring according to the package to mix your desired color. I decided on lime green :).

Definitely a creepy color!

Next add in your plastic creatures, in my case frogs!!! (which really creeps my boyfriend out, he has a terrible, irrational fear of frogs!)

Last use double-stick tape to attach your label. And your creepy decor is complete. Make a bunch to fill your laboratory!

I also made some small jars using stoppered bottles from Michaels:

To make these, I simply added some Dollar Store creepy crawlies, water and chalk-able labels, also from Michaels!

My vintage bottle collection, made creepy with some inexpensive Halloween additions!


Tarantula! My fav :)


I plan to make more of these bottles, so stay tuned for more Mad Scientist Madness!

Thanks for stopping by!

-Liz :)



No comments:

Post a Comment