Monday, October 21, 2013

4 Easy Dollar Store Halloween Decorations


Since it is apparent I am OBSESSED with the dollar store I am going to continue bombarding everyone with dollar store Halloween awesomeness! (there can never really be too much halloween awesomeness can there?... I think not!) So here are 4 ridiculously cheap and simple decorating ideas I came up with using mainly materials that can be found at, you guessed it... the $ Store!:

1. 

For this first project I used this glass candlesticks from Dollar Tree:


I gave them a quick spray of Rustoleum brand Chalkboard spray paint (its actually kind of hard to tell when all of the area is covered since these are see-through, so a couple coats is a good idea), and then used chalk to highlight all of the edges :). 


2. 

Who says Jack-o-lanterns can only come in pumpkin form??! I decided to add a little halloween whimsy to my living room lampshade by cutting out a set of eyes and a funny mouth from construction paper I purchased at the dollar store. Then just adhere with some double stick tape! 

Here's what it looks like when the light is off.

Wide angle.
You could go as simple or elaborate as you wanted with this, using an craft knife to cut out more complicated patterns! 

3. 

For this project I used two kinds of plastic glow-in-the-dark bats:


The ones on the left are from Target (the dollar section, so it counts!!) and the ones on the right are from Dollar Tree. I got two packs of 6 from Target and one pack of 6 from Dollar Tree so 18 bats in all! 


First, I used a standard hole punch to punch a hole at the top of each wing on every bat. Then using fluorescent green twine, I cut equal pieces to connect the bats together and tied off the ends through the holes in the wings. 


I hung the finished product on my patio using small command hooks!

Close-up!
Sadly, I could not get a picture of how they glow with my camera :( but I promise they look cool! And I plan on replacing my patio lights with black lights for our potential Halloween party to amplify the effect!

4. 

For my last project I used only one common household item that can be purchased at any dollar store, contact paper! 

First I printed a template offline and traced my ghost shape onto the backside of the contact paper (the paper part you peel off). Like so:


Then I simply cut out my ghost, using an Xacto knife for the eyes and mouth :). 

Last peel and stick! Here are a few different angles to see these better (I love how these look in person, but they sure are tricking to photograph!):




These could be used on any glass surface: mirror, windows, or on the glass of picture frames to add a little subtle spookiness! 


I hope you enjoyed my dollar store concoctions! 

Thanks for stopping by!

-Liz :) 




No comments:

Post a Comment