Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Upcycled Necklace Holder


This necklace holder is my latest upcycle project! And can you guess what it's made out of?...


Yup! It's a Utensil Holder! I got this one at Goodwill, but it was originally from Walmart. 

1. First I sprayed the whole tray with flat "Lagoon" spray paint from Rustoleum. 

2. Then to add some interest I decided to line the backs of each "cubby" with pages from some old Life Nature Encyclopedias that I have had for awhile: 


I used strips cut from different pages (on the side of each page were vertical, "info boxes" that were the perfect size to fit into each cubby): 


This book page shows habitats of big cats like lions, tigers, and panthers :)

This page discusses the symbiotic (cooperative) relationship between a flower and a moth.

This page talks about Mendel's Theory of genetics (I know  I am such a nerd!) But that's what I love about this project, I was able to incorporate my interest in science into the design! 

3. After my tray was completely decorated it was time to give it some function! I attached 7 small cup hooks (Target), 1 in each cubby and 3 on the bottom for long necklaces. :)

To attach each hook, I first used a screw of about the same size to make a starter hole. Once I had this initial hole I went back with my hook and using a wrench to hold it screwed in each hook. 

4. Last I attached to picture hooks to the back so I could attach my necklace holder to the wall!

All done! I even use the top of the holder to display some of my trinkets :) 

Here are the 3 hooks I added to the bottom to accommodate all of  my long necklaces that did not fit into the cubbies.

Some of my necklaces hanging in the cubbies. :)

I decided to use the bottom horizontal cubby as a shelf to hold some of my stud earrings.

I hung my necklace holder in the corner of my bedroom right next to the bathroom door (which has a full length mirror hanging on it). 

I love how this turned out! And I LOVE the extra jewelry storage!



Thanks for stopping by!!


-Liz :)


No comments:

Post a Comment