Monday, September 30, 2013

Halloween Dollar Store DIY


This is my first installment of the Dollar Store Challenge, Halloween Style!

The Dollar Store (Dollar Tree in my case) is a treasure trove of inexpensive DIY goodness, including Halloween decorations!!!

Check out what I created for 10$ (plus some black glossy spray paint):


I purchased all of these adorable mini pumpkins at the dollar store along with a box of 100 silver thumbtacks which I used to create this classy typographic display.

First, I had to spray my pumpkins black. (I had this glossy black paint on hand. I used Rustoleum brand glossy black spray paint from Home Depot, $3.87)

9$ for 9 pumpkins for the 9 letters in "Halloween"

Then all that was left to do was spell out my word. I choose to spell "Halloween" because I knew I wanted to place these on my extra long TV stand. For smaller spaces you could use some other Halloweeny words like "BOO", "SCARY", "SPOOKY", etc, etc!! (less letters would also reduce your pumpkin cost!)

I did not trace out my letters first, instead I just winged it, and it turned out fine, but if you don't trust your lettering skills you could always outline in pencil first. 

And that's it! Soooo simple! Making these took me about 30 mins start to finish (minus drying time of course!)

Originally I planned on using all tall pumpkins, BUT my dollar store only had 6 tall ones, so I had to get 3 of the shorter, fatter ones! And I am so glad I did, I love the staggered look it creates! 

Close-up

Some Halloween-style editing :)



Thanks for stopping by!

-Liz :)


No comments:

Post a Comment