Tuesday, September 24, 2013

DIY Vase Gem Jewelry


Introducing...

The Dollar Store Challenge!!! 

This is a new segment, I am introducing to my blog because of my new found OBSESSION with the dollar store (I usually shop at my local Dollar Tree). I mean what is better than walking in a store and knowing that everything costs a mere dollar??!!!

The Dollar Store is a gold-mine of DIY and crafting inspiration/supplies, and recently perusing the aisles for potential projects has become one of my favorite pass-times!

So, on every post where my lovely "Dollar Store Challenge" logo appears (above), the majority (if not all) of the materials used in that project were purchased at the dollar store!!


For my first $ Project...

Drumroll Please...




If you are not familiar with them, vase gems are just that, small glass gems that are meant to be used in vases for decorative filler! But why limit their use to filler, when they can be used for so much more, like DIY jewelry!!

In essence, the vase gems are being used as replacement glass cabochons, which usually cost about $0.50 each (I know not a lot, BUT at the dollar store you can get a bag of about 50 vase gems for $1!) Also cabochons are not readily available at craft stores and usually need to be ordered from an online supplier.


First, I made a number of cabochons:


I used a few different techniques to make these cabs, but the sky is the limit! 

Nail-Polish: 
The top gem in the pic above was made by painting the back with two kinds of nail polish! 

Decorative Paper:
The music note gem was made by adhering the gem to a piece of patterned card stock with clear jewelry glue (see below). 




Once dry, I cut out around the gem and then sealed the back with Mod Podge to protect it! 

Glitter:
These are my Favs!! They are so easy! First dip the back of the gems into regular Elmer's glue and then sprinkle on glitter to completely cover the back. After they are dry, seal over the glitter with Mod Podge! 




Next, fashion your gems into jewelry. As you can see above I made a necklace, a ring and a pair of blue glittery earrings! 

Necklace:
To make my necklace, I used lettered cardstock and glued my gem over just the upper and lower-case E (for Elizabeth!) 

 Then I glued a flat-back loop to the back (available at Michaels) and attached a chain I already had.


:)

Ring:

For my ring I used a gold glitter gem and glued it onto a broken ring I had. 


Great way to reuse broken jewelry! You can also purchase ring blanks off of etsy or an online jewelry supplier.


Earrings: 

For the earrings, I again used glitter gems (I love this glitter!) and glued on blank studs (Michaels)! Blank studs and backs are very affordable and each package comes with about 50 of each!



I love how this jewelry came out! And the possibilities really are endless! They can be totally customized with any material or design!


 More ideas:
- Print a custom design!
- Use old maps, or book pages
- Use material or even experiment with lace!
- Try painting on a design
- Use colored gems for a funkier look! 
- Personalize with family photos

ETC, ETC! 

I can't wait to make more of these!! 

Thanks for stopping by!

-Liz :)




No comments:

Post a Comment