Thursday, September 12, 2013

Easy DIY Lampshade



Believe it or not, I made this lampshade with only a stencil and a blue marker! 

I needed a new lampshade for an Ikea floor lamp that we just moved into our living room from our screened-in patio (the old one was paper and it was filthy from being outside!) So, I went shopping! First I checked out targets website and found a number of graphic lampshades that I loved, but when I got to the store I was disappointed to see none of the shades I loved online :(. I didn't want to go through the process of ordering online, paying for shipping, etc. for a lampshade, so it was time for plan b! I grabbed a large white shade ($20) and took it home to brainstorm! 

I knew I wanted some kind of geometric pattern, so I went straight to my stencils and pulled out this star pattern. The actual stencil has 5 stars in a square shape, but instead of just stenciling the whole shade I randomly placed my stencil and only colored in parts of the stencil (3-4 stars). To color in my stencil I used this blue marker from Recollections:

This is a blue opaque marker from Recollections that I got at Michaels.

I continued moving my stencil around the shade until I was satisfied with how it looked! 

Note: I used a LINEN shade, and although the marker did bleed a little it isn't enough to be noticeable. DO NOT use a SILK shade for this it will definitely bleed. Or you could use a paint pen or sponge on paint to avoid this! 



Close-up!

This lamp stands in my entry way right next to my sewing machine-entry table and my awesome new turquoise mirror from HomeGoods! 

Looks great on too!! 


And that's it! This took me about 20 mins total! 



Thanks for stopping by!

-Liz :)

No comments:

Post a Comment