Friday, September 6, 2013

Upcycled Printer's Tray



It all started with the printer's tray! I found this awesome old tray about 6 months ago on a family vacation to Branson, MO!! (Branson is amazing for antiquing! There are a number of "flea markets" downtown with hundreds of dealers in each! Mom and I were in heaven, Dad not so much!) Being from an antique store, I paid retail for it at $38, BUT totally worth it! I had been eyeing these up on etsy for awhile, so when I saw it I couldn't pass it up!!

This is a Hamilton tray manufactured in Two Rivers, WI (another reason I couldn't pass it up!!
Love the old handle!

As with many antiques this tray was VERY dusty. It took about an hour with a toothbrush and a razor blade to get all the dust and dirt out of each cubby! 

I knew I wanted to use this to display trinkets, because I have what can only be referred to as a "trinket surplus". One day after coming home from flea market while unpacking my new finds, my boyfriend walked by and after one look at my new display, dubbed me "Queen of the Trinkets"! But I like my trinkets and I knew he would too once I displayed them properly! 

Although this tray is beautiful as is, I wanted to break up the wood a little and give it a modern touch with some color and pattern. This is where I struggled a bit. I considered decoupaging craft paper or fabric or even busting out the washi tape, but then while reading an DIY magazine one day I found my answer... 


If you haven't already discovered this website, you must check it out (www.chicshelfpaper.com)! Chic shelf paper is just that, its contact paper taken up a notch, with awesome patterns for every style. AND best of all they offer free samples! The first 4 samples are free and every one after that is $1! It just so happened that the sample size was just enough for this project so I kind of took advantage of this and the shelf paper only cost me $2! (Don't worry I plan to order much more, for a number of drawers that need lining!) 

I got 6 different patterns:

I chose a combo of traditional and retro patterns to compliment my retro/modern living room! 

 I measured the cubbies with a flexible measuring tape and then cut the shelf paper to size with a paper cutter

Before trinkets!


Some of my trinkets include (from left to right): An occupied Japan shoe shine figurine, old cracker jack toys (plastic animals), old stamps, an old cast iron toy soldier, a vintage pill box, old car, miniature globe, and two vintage bottles on top!

Since I live in an apartment, I decided to lean the tray on a shelf rather than trying to hang it and risk major wall damage. 



I think this project turned out great! Now I can display all my tiny treasures, in clutter-free, boyfriend approved way!


Thanks for stopping by!

Liz :)

No comments:

Post a Comment