Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Flower Box Upcycle



As promised, I wanted to share this before and after of a vintage flower box I picked up at an antique store for $8!

The columns are what attracted me to this planter, but unfortunately they were in terrible shape with pieces literally crumbling off :(

So I had to get creative when restoring it! As you can see in the before picture, the red paint was falling off, so my first task was getting all the old paint off. I removed all of the columns (which were each attached by just 1 giant nail!) and then took a hand sander to the box. After a considerable amount of sanding I finally had all the paint off.

I went through a couple ideas of how to refinish this box. Originally I was going to spray the whole thing, but I didn't want to give up the vintage feel completely. Then I decided to try staining it since I had already done the work to get all of the old finish off :). So I brushed on a coat of red mahogany! It didn't look bad but it didn't "Pop" like I wanted it too.

Thats when I decided to try a technique I had used before to give it a rustic "weathered" look. This is so simple to do! I brushed on a coat of paint and then used a sanding block to "rough it up". I used a white paint with a hint of blue (I know you can't really seen the blue!) and then I sprayed the only intact columns with a dark gray to contrast the white box.

More Pics!!


I planted Zinnias, Aster, and Mexican Heather  :)

To label my flowers I used pieces of clear and green sea glass I bought at Micheals and wrote the flower names on with a sharpie :)

I love giving old items new life, like this planter! 

Thanks for stopping by!

Liz :)

No comments:

Post a Comment