Thursday, June 20, 2013

Thrifty Container Garden

I'm sure all of you have seen pictures on diy sites or pinterest of everyday objects being used as planters to create whimsical container gardens. Here's a couple good links:

http://www.diynetwork.com/outdoors/12-unusual-and-upcycled-container-gardens/pictures/index.html

http://www.hgtv.com/gardening/stunning-low-budget-container-gardens/pictures/page-6.html

I personally love this look! Way more interesting than flower pots from big box stores. And talk about conversation pieces, nothing gets the conversation flowing like peonies cascading out of a tuba! lol

So, for my small container garden I used only containers I picked up at local thrift stores (btw so much cheaper than buying brand new pots, I didn't pay anymore than $4 for any of my containers!) Here's some of my finds:

adorable purple flowers in a vintage blue and white sugar dish

small succulent in a vintage teacup with colorful bird design
vintage planters, large white elephant and small brown puppy (vintage planters are a great way to add a little whimsy to your garden, you can find them in all shapes and sizes at thrift stores and on etsy)

Lavender plant in a smal vintage basin
Large upcycled planter - I found this plastic urn shaped planted at a thrift store and after a quick spray of bright blue spray paint it looks great. The brown ceramic duck was also a thrift store find!
I also fashioned a hanging planter out of an old egg basket I found at Salvation Army. I lined the basket with a woven liner from home depot, and strung beads and crystals on invisible thread off of the triangular basket closures to add some sparkle!! The same look could easily be achieved using an old metal strainer!

I planted a white trailing flower in the basket. 
To add some elegance, I finished off my strings of beads
with some vintage chandelier crystals I bought off etsy :)
So, when your planning out your garden don't head straight for the home improvement store, try your luck at your local thrift store or even look around your own home for unlikely flower pots!

Please share pics of your own container gardens, I would love to see some more ideas!

-Liz :)




No comments:

Post a Comment