Thursday, December 12, 2013

3D Decoupage Christmas Wreath


Wreaths are the quintessential Christmas decor, and since they are such a holiday staple everyone is always trying to put their own spin on them, including me! Not that I don't enjoy the traditional greenery and bows, but it is always good to shake things up! And since it is no secret that I love vintage, I decided to go to my favorite vintage source for some inspiring graphics, The Graphics Fairy! There are a bunch of awesome Christmas and holiday graphics on this site, but since I am a 50s junky I immediately gravitated towards the retro images. 

Check out how I used these awesome graphics to embellish this classic ribbon-wrapped wreath:

1) First, I made the wreath: 
I used festive red and white ribbon I got at a thrift store to wrap the entire foam wreath. I secured the end with a greenery pin: 


Then I just kept wrapping, again fastening the end with a pin (my favorite thing about using foam is no glue required!)

Here is a close up of my wrapped wreath:


2) Next I got my graphics: I picked these off the Graphics Fairy:


-a retro kitten with a candle
-a retro santa
-a retro reindeer
-and a retro candy cane (x4)

I printed all my graphics onto white cardstock

3) I cut out all of my graphics, using a craft-knife to cut out any inside sections: 


4) To add a festive border and some stability to my graphics I backed each image with some shiny gold cardstock! I did a rough trace around each image on the back of the gold paper leaving a small border. Then I cut these out and mounted the images with some double-stick tape. (remember to trace the images face-down!)


5) Now time to assemble the wreath! I used some regular pins to attach each image to the wreath going through the paper and into the foam, using about 2-3 pins per image. 


6) Last, I added some sparkly gold garland to hang my wreath and it now adorns my fireplace with a command hook!





Happy Holidays Everyone!

Thanks for stopping by!

-Liz :)







No comments:

Post a Comment